Pukekohe Maori School officially opened on the 26th of May 1952. Mr R.W Bates was the first Headmaster with a roll of 63 children.
In the 1950s there was a high Māori population in Pukekohe. This was largely due to the work offered to Māori people in the market gardens around this area. Living conditions for Māori were difficult and the Māori community suffered several epidemics, such as smallpox and Influenza. There was no tap water in some homes and outside fires were used to cook. Pukekohe Māori School was established to help improve health conditions for Māori people. Princess Te Puea saw what was happening to her people and approached the government to build a Native School in Pukekohe. She then donated £200 for the establishment of a communal building to be built on the school grounds. This was officially opened by the Rt Hon Walter Nash in 1959. The hall was named Nga Hau e Whaâ€™ which means The Four Winds. It was situated on Ward Street near where our swimming pool currently sits.
The Māori School concept was phased out. The introduction of strict zoning was one reason why children had to attend the school in their local area. The school was passed over to the Auckland Education Board and became a contributing school known as Pukekohe Hill School. The school was reopened under its new name on the 1st of February 1966. During the year a new four-classroom block was completed which is now called the Manning Block named after previous principal Mr Len Manning. This was used for junior classes.
Pukekohe Hill School has continued to grow to its current size of approximately 700 students.
Check out this slide show done by some of our students.